Every dog is an individual, and every relationship with a pet is unique. But often people experience similar behavior challenges with their dogs at some point in their lives. Most likely, you will see your situation and your needs reflected below.
Besides working with many types of dogs, I love what I do because I am fascinated by behavior. Problem-solving, thinking creatively about solutions, and teaching people about dog behavior in general and how they learn. I find it rewarding when my clients improve their understanding of their dog’s behavior. As a result, they can enjoy their daily life with their dog. Most importantly, they know how to manage a previously challenging situation with their pup and implement what their dog learned as a result of our training. I can help you and your dog with the following:
Aggression, Fear, Shyness, and Anxiety
I am keenly interested in working with dogs whose behaviors stem from negative “emotional issues,” such as aggression, fear, and anxiety.
I find these cases very rewarding because almost always, we can make such a huge difference as a result of training and behavior modification. I like the dedication it takes from both parties to work with these particular individuals. Open to all ages and breeds.
Basic Obedience and Manners
Anything from sit, stay to come when called. Basic manners are the foundations of any other stuff we want our dogs to learn. Dogs that can comport themselves in many situations have better lives. After all, they are taken to more adventures because they are not a liability and too much to handle. Open to all ages and breeds.
Basic manners are an absolute first step to the more advanced C.H. A.C.O.’s programs, such as the Impulse Control program and Settle! Please!
C.H.A.C.O. Puppy Primer: At Home Help With Your Puppy:
There is so much that puppies and people must learn during puppyhood (3-18 weeks old).
C.H.A.C.O.’s PUPPY PRIMER™ will give you the support and guidance you will need to socialize your puppy. Every week your puppy enters a new developmental “chapter,” so knowing precisely what to focus on is not easy! Besides, most puppy parents are overwhelmed with the amount of dedication their puppy needs.
Here are the details:
For puppies’ ages: 8 weeks-4 ½ months of age. Depending on the age of your puppy, what our focus will be. The program includes the following:
• 90 min. Initial Consult: I will meet you at your home to set things up from the very beginning for you and your pup. Ideally, the Initial Consult takes place BEFORE you get your puppy, but it is not mandatory to do so.
We will cover Prevention topics such as House- training | crate training | socialization | bite inhibition | handling | alone time, etc.
• 8, 1 hr. Training sessions at your home, in town, my training hub in Tesuque- relevant to our training. The schedule of these events/locations will depend on your puppy’s age. As we work together with your puppy, we will cover the following:
- Training concepts: Basic learning theory | nothing for free | life rewards | luring | shaping | reward removal | timing | criteria | proofing/handling distraction | getting and keeping focus | rate of reinforcement | fading the lure | problem-solving at home and on the go such as anti-jumping, visitors at your home, typical household noises, etc.
- Basic Obedience: Sit | down | stay | come | go to your mat | anti-jumping| leave it | loose-leash walking.
• 90 minutes Initial Consult: $187.46 (Santa Fe tax included). Beyond 90 min.
$267.81(Santa Fe tax is included).
• 8, 1 hr. sessions: $1,184.00 This fee includes an extensive handbook (PDF) with all the information you will need to continue learning and practicing between sessions.
Please note the following:
• Payment for training sessions is required in full during the Initial Consult.
• Travel charges will apply beyond 18 miles from Tesuque at $1.20 per mile/round trip.
• Puppy parent (s) must be present in all training sessions.
Tellington TTouch® Bodywork, Groundwork, and Wraps.
Tellington TTouch® is a method of working with animals that effectively reduces stress, fear, aggression, and anxiety. It is also useful in modifying behavior, increasing flexibility, and—when combined with veterinarian care—aid in recovery. The approach is gentle yet systematic and helps animals to better cope with different and novel situations. It improves confidence, focus, and learning.
With gentle touches, body wraps, and groundwork (a variety of exercises with equipment), we engage and calm the animal’s nervous system and teach the animal to move in non-habitual ways. Since an animal that is stressed or anxious cannot learn, by incorporating TTouch®, we aid animals (in my case, dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits) to relax. The animal can then focus on learning new ways of coping with situations in which he previously reacted with fear, concern, or anxiety.
Another terrific benefit of TTouch® is that it provides the guardian with the tools to engage with their animal in ways that are non-threatening—establishing or deepening the trust between them. As part of a TTouch® session, you will learn how to use wraps and perform bodywork.
TTouch can be part of a training session with your dog or as a TTouch® only session.
“I wanted to share with you Tank’s progress with meeting the dog sitter again. It went great!!! I followed your instructions for meeting strangers in the house and he did so well! By the end of thirty minutes, he was sitting down with his back to her and relaxed. He kept going up to her and would ‘go say hi’ like a champ! I am super pleased! Thanks for your help! 😁” – Janet Kirk, Santa Fe, NM